8.01.2012

Breakfast Smoothie w/ Hemp Protein

I love recipes that I can add to, subtract from & substitute ingredients. Smoothies are perfect for this kind of lax attitude in the kitchen. A little of this, a little of that... boom, deliciousness. On our vacation, Tim and I started making smoothies for breakfast and we noticed how awesome we felt afterwards. Lots of energy, our digestive systems were regular, we weren't hungry by 10 am. (I can't say the same about starting out with coffee & carbs).
[Love her]
Are smoothies still trendy? I know it's a little late to be jumping on this bandwagon, but oh well. I got the base of my recipe from Jenna Marbles' blog. You know, the delightfully sassy YouTube star? Sure she curses up a storm and loves saying penis but her messages are actually pretty substantial (like her new one about just texting people what you really mean). Plus, her dogs are hilarious.
[This stuff rocks.]
So here is my current favorite breakfast smoothie. Or whatever time of day smoothie, it doesn't really matter. Makes about 2 servings.


Ingredients
5 ice cubes
1 banana
1/2 avocado
2 cups frozen berries
1/2 c. greek yogurt
2 T. Hemp Protein Powder
2 T. coconut oil
1 c. OJ or Coconut Milk (then, keep adding until it reaches the consistency you want)


I drink mine on my way to work in a neat plastic tumbler like this one. Found it at my grocery store for $5 - score. Sorry, I don't have time to lay around in my bath robe sipping smoothies in the morning. Gotta drop off the little one at his Nana's house & get to work!
This morning I added liquid vitamin D to our smoothies because I've been a little stuffed up lately. If I have baby spinach, I'll also throw in a handful of that. Just get crazy with it! Whatever produce you like (that can be blended easily) will work in a smoothie.


Maybe I'll never go back to coffee...? That's a lie. When it starts getting colder out, I'll definitely crave something warm & autumny. Anyone know a good pumpkin latte recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting.