10.14.2011

My best craigslist deal... ever?

Baby stuff is like wedding stuff. Insanely marked up and you only use it for a short period of time. Both industries make you feel like you absolutely need certain things. Magazines, internet ads, TV shows, celebrities... they mentally gang up on you until you buy that $18 Sophie the Giraffe Teether.

Wait a tick, eighteen bucks for something my kid is going to gnaw on? But, it's from France! That doesn't sound right, but it's currently the #1 best seller in baby products on Amazon.com. So popular that there are knock-offs being sold. (Note: I will be depriving my child of Sophie the Giraffe. I know, I'm a terrible parent.)

So now onto what you really want to read about. My greatest craigslist conquest thus far.

I knew from the get-go that I wanted a jogging stroller. I'm not a hardcore runner, but I like to get out there a few times a week and do a few miles, and it's a nice way to get out of the house with the baby. A regular stroller with tiny wheels wasn't going to cut it. However, there was NO WAY I was going to pay full price for one of these things. Have you seen what they retail for new? Anywhere from $150 to $500. Madness. I know for a fact that women buy/register for one thinking "I'm gonna get back in shape after baby!" and then use it 5 times. Where do all of these pricey, barely-used jogging strollers end up? Parked in the garage or basement until the husband finally says, "Why do we still have this if you never use it?" So it ends up on craigslist, and that's where I come in.

My list of criteria for a used jogging stroller:
- $50 or less
- In the general vacinity of where we live (I'm willing to drive 20-30 minutes to get a big ticket item)
- Fixed front wheel
- No alignment/mechanical issues
- No stains or rips in the fabric seat
- Storage
- Neutral colors

The key is patience. Never jump on the first deal you find unless it fits all of your criteria. I saw some really nice joggers for $60, $50 and even $40, but I wasn't completely sold. Sometimes, you just know, and none of these joggers were giving me that "BUY THIS NOW" feeling.

My patience paid off big time and I ended up scoring a 2-year-old Baby Trend Expedition jogging stroller for 80% off the retail price in GREAT condition. Believe me, I KNOW.

This brand has models starting at $140 and going up to around $200. I paid $30. I drove 26 miles round trip, so to be fair, factor in another $5 for gas. After a predictably awkward pick-up from a family moving back to Turkey (so House Hunters International, right?), it was mine and I returned home to celebrate my victory!

Multiple storage baskets & pouches and a nice grippy handle.

I used a solution of vinegar & water to clean up the plastic & metal parts, which were a little dusty from being stored in their basement. I called it, right?
 
I vacuumed the seat and on the next sunny day, I'm going to spray it down outside with vinegar & water to freshen up the fabric. Vinegar is great for neutralizing odors & killing germs!
Plus, it's non-toxic.

Cupholders & a handy storage compartment for phone, keys, chapstick, etc.

Peek-a-boo!

Folds up  for storage or transporting in a car.
So pumped about my deal!
Would it be weird if I practiced jogging with it before the baby's born?
Yes, yes it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting.