10.10.2011

One Last Summer Fling

This title implies that I had any summer flings to begin with. FALSE. I am a happily married lady. I meant it more as a metaphorical fling with summery things, like flip flops, strawberries and fireworks. Example) me and a bag o' limes got together and had a ball in the kitchen last night.

I have been having serious citrus cravings throughout my pregnancy, so when I came across this recipe on Martha Stewart's website, I started drooling and hit "print".


Ingredients
9-10 graham crackers
2 T. plus 1/2 cup sugar
4 T. unsalted butter, melted
1 can (14.5 oz) sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup fresh lime juice (4-6 limes) or bottled lime juice
4 large egg yolks
Pinch of salt
Lime zest garnish (optional)
Meg's Notes: I bought a premade graham cracker crust, and therefore, skipped the first 3 ingredients except for the 1/2 cup of sugar. I used fresh squeezed limes, and recommend buying 8-10. Not all limes have the same amount of juice in them, and you definitely want to have enough of this key ingredient! Warning: if you decide to squeeze all those limes, your hand will be deformed for a good 5 minutes afterwards. But I think it's worth it.




Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you need directions to make a homemade crust, see the link to the real recipe above. If you're taking the easy way out like I did, read on.
2. In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, lime juice, egg yolks, 1/2 cup of sugar and salt. Whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into crust and bake until filling is set around edge but slightly loose in the center, 20-25 minutes.
3. Cool completely at room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
4. Serve and garnish with zest, if desired.





Meg's Notes: Don't use a broken whisk. It just complicates things. Also, it's about the same consistency as a pumpkin pie when done (a little jiggly in the center). I was so eager to try mine, that I popped it in the freezer for 30 minutes. Mmmm... simply subLIME.

So go have a summer fling of your own... with a dessert.
Less heartbreak. More deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting.