3.16.2011

Go Back to Your Home on Whore Island (a recipe...)

My husband and I fell in love with this pasta on our honeymoon in Miami.
Cafe Ragazzi made it MUCH better than I did, but hey, they are professionals, I'm not gonna try to compete!

Pasta Puttanesca

(Adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Kriger)

Fun Fact: Puttanesca was given the nickname "whore's-style spaghetti" back in Italy. Legend has it that all the "ladies of the night" would make this pasta to lure in the men! Let me tell you, it worked with Tim.
But I ain't no hoe ;-)


Ingredients
16 oz. of thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, drained & chopped
1/3 cup capers, drained
2 tsp. anchovy paste*
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Two 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes**
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh arugula
Parmesan cheese

*Don't fear anchovy paste. It doesn't even smell or taste like fish, it just adds an awesome salty flavor.
**Get no-salt-added diced tomatoes. This recipe is SO flavorful, you don't need any added salt.

 I left out the fresh parsley, and it still turned out fine.
And I added a chopped red onion. I do what I want!


Directions
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add garlic (and onions) and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Add parsley, olives, capers, anchovy paste, oregano & red pepper and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes
- Stir in arugula until slightly wilted, about 1 minute
- Toss cooked pasta with sauce to combine
- Serve up & top with parmesan cheese


The best part about this meal?
372 calories & 8 grams of fat in 1 serving (2 cups)!


If Whore Island exists & serves really good puttanesca, I might need to take a trip there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting.