1.25.2011

Go Go Gadget

I just did that thing where you say a word aloud over and over again until it sounds like a foreign language. Gadget. Gadget. GADget. GadGET. GAD-GET.

I hate most gadgets. Like anything in Sharper Image. Meh, not interested. I don't care about having the latest cell phone, laptop, GPS, etc. We have a GPS. It's called Mapquest & a printer. My iPhone (version 1) is slowy mcslowersons. Whatever.

However, one type of gadget owns my heart.

K-I-T-C-H-E-N

Heaven to me looks like the looooong kitchen gadget aisle in Target. With Tim standing at the end, holding a beautiful array of colorful spatulas. And Bob Marley playing steel drums. Ron Burgundy is also in there somewhere.

Anyways, I was so pumped when I got my mail yesterday and found a rewards card from Macy's worth roughly $100. Apparently back when we were registering for wedding gifts, I signed up for some program where you get a % in cash back as a reward when people buy certain things off of your registry. Totally forgot about it!
I immediately went bananas on Macy's.com.

These beauties will be arriving shortly:

(And I didn't even mean to buy all Martha Stewart brand products. It just worked out like that!
She is greatest, you really can't blame me.)






[Photo credits: Macys.com]

Most of them will replace cheap-o versions of a similar product I bought back in college at Dollar Tree. They'll be taking a trip to Goodwill or the dumpster!

I'll admit, some kitchen gadgets are just pointless.

I won't waste money on an avocado peeler. It's just as easy to use a knife & a spoon. I recently ditched my dish drainer, too. We have a dishwasher, and anything I wash by hand I just lay on a dish towel to dry (or dry by hand and put away immediately). No more unsightly rack gathering slime & taking up my valuable counter space! Strawberry stem remover, also dumb. I even saw a corn on the cob kernel scraper. Um, hi, it's called using a knife. We are even thinking about losing the tea kettle. Our new coffee maker has a hot water dispenser that is quite handy.


Wow, this post is making me want to re-evaluate my whole gadget drawer. It's jam packed and I'm thinking, do I really need 6 different wooden spoons? That is one area I struggle with keeping organized.

Instead of watching the State of the Union tonight (we already know, it's bad) I think I'll tackle that drawer!

1 comment:

  1. This entire post made me laugh. :)

    I, too, think kitchen gadgets (you're right, VERY weird word) are amazing but usually unnecessary. One day, however, we will be rich ol' ladies who own the entire pampered chef catalogue.

    A transparent toaster? Yes please! I like to watch my bread toast. The poultry lifter? Don't mind if I do! I hate using oven mitts!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful when commenting.